Translate

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sketchcrawl Kit

First The Bag
The Crumpler "Dreadful Embarrassment" messenger bag with Eagle Creek Waterbottle holder attached with two carabiners. Being a long time IT Geek used to carrying heavy old-style laptop bags loaded with laptops, books adapters and gadgets, I like being able to convert to using a lightweight messenger bag. After checking out all sorts of worthy bags such as Waterfield and Booq, I am happy to settle on an Australian company called "The Crumpler". These guys are as funny as hell and have off-the-wall names for their products. Although I bought the slightly smaller "Considerable Embarrassment" to carry my laptop and work gear, I also bought the larger "Dreadful Embarrassment" to hold my Sketching supplies. Shown below is the "Dreadful Embarrassment" model in black and yellow with a bright orange interior. For those interested see The Crumpler Website


The Gear Inside
Listed and shown below is the gear I presently carry. After a few trips I will probably reduce the items carried otherwise I may end up giving myself a hernia. LOL But for now this is the kit I carry in the bag above. The different watercolour pencils and paint options give me a variety of different texture finishes in my coloured sketches. The water-soluble Pastel Pencils give a more toothy finish even when water is applied. I like the watercolour pencils as they are easy to apply with less mess but give a different finish than regular watercolour paint. I still prefer the old-school regular pencils over mechanical pencils, just because I like the feel in my hands. I just like the Pilot Drawing Pens in the 03 or 05 fine-tip sizes.
Above picture shows:
  • 2 - 8" x 12" Moleskine Watercolour Sketchbooks
  • 2 - 5" x 8.25" Moleskin Plain Notebooks
  • 1 x iPad and Targus iPad sleeve (for protection)
  • 2 x paint cloths in ziploc bags
  • 1 x extra pair of eyeglasses
  • 1 x rain poncho (for emergencies)
  • 1 x bag of Wet Ones (wet towels)
  • 1 x bag of Kleenex (wet towels)
  • 2 x sizes of ziploc bags (rolled up)
  • 1 x Fujifilm XP20 digital camera (used to take these photos)
  • 1 x Camera bag with adapters, spare memo card and battery with neckstrap
  • 1 x camera battery recharger
  • 1 business card holder
  • 1 x extra eyeglass cleaning cloth
  • 1 x empty pill bottle (to hold pencil sharpener and shavings)
  • 1 x circular cutting board
  • 1 x steel clip with two screw-top water containers
  • 1 x Targus iPad Stylus
  • 1 x Swiss Army Knife
  • 1 x Steel Multitool

Above picture shows
  • 1 x tin of 72 water-soluble Derwent Pastel Pencils
  • 1 x tin of 36 Derwent Watercolour Pencils
  • 1 x tin of 24 Derwent Graphitint Pencils
  • 1 x tin of 24 Derwent Inktense Pencils
  • 1 x Winsor & Newton Travelling Watercolour Palette ( I use WN tube paint)
  • 1 x metal pencil sharpener
  • 1 x set of utility knife blades
  • 1 x Eraser (stick form)
  • 5 x DR Pigment Ink Pilot Drawing Pens
  • 1 x tin containing:
  • 2 x short handled watercolour brushes
  • 2 x X-Acto knives with #11 blades (1 not shown in photo)
  • 7 x Koh-I-Noor 2B Pencils
  • 6 x Koh-I-Noor HB Pencils
  • 7 x assorted Derwent Graphic Pencils (Hard 4H-8H + Soft 4B and 9B)

June 23rd amendments to kit

added
  • 1 x bamboo brush roll-up with a few brushes
  • 3 x Holbein Waterbrushes
  • 1 x 12" triangular architects rule (used as a scale and straight-edge)
  • 1 x travelling watercolour palette - 18 small paint wells :)
eliminated
  • 1 x tin of 72 water-soluble Derwent Pastel Pencils (experimentation deemed this unnecessary)
  • 1 x tin of 36 Derwent Watercolour Pencils (experimentation deemed this unnecessary)
  • 1 x WN Travelling Watercolour palette - 8 small paint wells
  • 1 of the Moleskine 5" x 8.25" Notebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment