Translate

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

September 14, 2011

While waiting for a response from a client today, I noticed a guy washing windows on the side of one of the high-rise apartments nearby. This one was hanging down the side of the building at the Stanley Park end of Nelson Street in Vancouver's West-end. Anyway here he was merrily wobbling back and forward with his bucket and squeegee hanging from a rope. When I first noticed him, he was doing windows on the 12th floor... yikes not my kind of job. "I don't do Windows" is a common computer joke for us types who prefer Mac's.. :-)

Anyway out came the sketchbook and pens .. I divided the sketchbook page into 6 sections so that I could force myself to keep each "window" view figure sketch the same relative size. Tried to keep things really simple, not much detail as this guy was moving pretty quickly. I had read somewhere on an Urban Sketcher Symposium site that they recommend keeping sketches simple and that it is generally okay to leave out unimportant details. They suggested that the important thing when sketching figures is to show the activity and create interest, definitely detail sketching the lint falling out of the guys pocket is not something that is needed in the drawing. :-)

Whew.. that was exhausting trying to keep up with him :-)

So here it is with a splash of watercolour...

Oops.. I used yesterdays date on the drawing.. I'll have to correct that..guess I lost a day somehow.. :-)

"Windows Professional 2011"
[Click on image for larger view]

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool! BTW, I put a link from my blog post today to your vancouver sketches. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had an enjoyable cruise through your drawings Dave. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this one because it is so spare. The six frames set up a rhythm that reminds me of stop action photography. The composition leads your eye around the page. The other subtle reference is to a six-light window frame.

    ReplyDelete